Monday, May 11, 2009

A Tribute to Steve Irwin


The Crocodile Hunter was one of my favorite shows growing up. I loved starting my day with Steve Irwin’s trademark “Crikey!” I was always on the edge of my seat while I watched my hero battle a poisonous snake or enormous crocodile. Some people watched the show just for that reason, but I was always interested in what he had to say as well. I took in every word and stored it in my large collection of animal knowledge. I remember running off after the credits to tell my mom what I learned: “Mom, guess what. Chameleons can move their eyeballs separately!” I really learned a lot from Steve Irwin and his passion for animals further fueled my strong love for them.

In 2006, my mom delivered the news that Steve Irwin had died. I was shocked. I hadn’t watched his show in a while, but that did not stop me from feeling grief over his tragic death. I went to school that day thinking about what my mom said and hoping she was mistaken. My high school played a teen version of the news every day in homeroom. So, when they revealed the news of Steve’s death, my eyes watered as I thought about the family he left behind: a wife and two very young children. My classmates were a lot less sympathetic. Steve’s death became the joke of the day. I was very angry at how cruel they were. What happened to respecting the dead?

I watched the memorial service and was saddened by Terri Irwin’s tears, but so impressed with young Bindi’s speech about her father.
I was sad for the Irwin family and the men and women at the Australia Zoo who were good friends with Steve. Moreover, I was sad for the animals Steve spent his life trying to protect. His voice seemed to be the strongest for wildlife conservation. His death by an animal made thousands turn against his message of protecting wildlife. I know if he had survived, he would have been defending the stingray.

Fortunately, Steve’s message did not die with him. His daughter has already taken over his spot with her Discovery Kid’s show Bindi the Jungle Girl in which she spreads the message of wildlife conservation to the younger generation. She has already won an Emmy for “Best TV personality.” I am sure Bindi will do so much for the animal kingdom. Steve Irwin lives on in his daughter, and he would be very proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment