Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pets not Pests

I’ve had rodents living in my basement for years. Before you tell me to hire an exterminator let me tell you that I bought all of them as pets. My father forbid me from getting a dog or cat because he didn’t want an animal running around the house. When I was five, he let me get a guinea pig as a compromise. Her name was Cutesy and I loved her very much. She was my first pet. My dad was happy because she could be kept in a cage away from him, but I was still able to enjoy petting and cuddling her whenever I wanted. Throughout the years, I have had many other guinea pigs and later I was able to enjoy the company of other rodents with a rabbit and a chinchilla. My friend thinks rodents are gross and is afraid of my chinchilla. I’m sure a lot of people think that rodents are pests and would never willingly invite one into their home. Rodents are actually a lot more intelligent than people think and they make wonderful pets.

Rodents are intelligent creatures with the ability to observe and learn. They can recognize different people and often react differently to strangers than they do with their owners. Rodents are very difficult to train, not because they are unintelligent, but because they don’t like to be told what to do. A dog will easily recognize its caregiver as its master and will do anything to please its human. Rodents are able to learn what is unacceptable behavior and will often do it when you’re not looking. I taught my rabbit that chewing on cords and going into my dad’s workroom was bad behavior by picking her up and putting her in her cage when she did it, but they were both activities she enjoyed, so she’d wait until I left the room. I’d often come back to find her in my dad’s room or chewing on a wire. When she saw me, she would take off running because she knew she was in trouble. My chinchilla, Pepper, is a little bit more obedient. He used to chew the piano and entertainment cabinet when we set him loose in the living room to run. After picking him up (which he hates) whenever he chewed we taught him not to do that. Now he very rarely chews on the wood and if, in a moment of weakness, he nibbles, a stern “Pepper!” will stop him in his tracks. Don’t expect to teach them any tricks. Like I said, they’ll do what they want, when they want.

As far as affection goes, there are many rodents who only love you for the food you give them; others will form a strong, loving bond. It really depends on each animal’s individual personality. When choosing one from a pet store or breeder, it’s important to pay attention to how they interact with you at a young age. If they seem interested in you and unafraid, they will make a better pet than the ones who run away. Sometimes, you just have to rely on luck. I’ve had affectionate guinea pigs, and I’ve had food lovers. My first guinea pig would get excited when I came home from school and squeaked at me until I picked her up or pet her. My second guinea pig would run if I tried to touch her, but loved anyone who handed her a slice of apple. The most affectionate pet I had was my lop-eared rabbit, Cotton. She would follow me around the basement, and tug on my pants leg until I bent down to pet her. I’d put her on my lap while I watched TV and she would sit there for hours licking my arm in appreciation. Many rodents do not like to be touched, but form bonds in other ways. They enjoy your company and love to hear your voice. I had one guinea pig who hated to be pet, but got excited when you sat next to the cage and talked to him. My chinchilla is the same way but he also likes to sit on my shoulder and perch. Each rodent will bond with you differently and show affection differently. If you’re lucky, you will have one who loves you like my rabbit did.

While most people try to keep rodents out, I bring them into my home. I’ve had rodents for over ten years and I have loved them all.

1 comment:

  1. You have a lot of nice photos. Good job, Christine. I love animals too. My favorite is the Alaskan Malamute.

    Ryan Trimble

    ReplyDelete